While harassment and discrimination in New York workplaces can make the lives of city employees miserable, the Big Apple offers a slew of resources and solutions to aid workers and bosses alike in the ongoing quest for a stress-free, discrimination-free workplace. Here are some New York City specific resources and tools to combat discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the job.
1. Ample free resources exist for members of the New York labor force. For instance, check out:
a. The New York Department of Labor’s workforce website
b. The New York State’s Workers’ Compensation Board website
c. City service organizations — including volunteer groups, non-profits, and religious groups — also offer support, job placement help, and useful info.
2. The city boasts many laws designed to protect the rights of workers and to ensure that legal redress is possible. These include:
a. New York State Employment Safety and Security Act
b. Title 12 of the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
3. If you don’t like your job, it is (relatively) easy to find a new one in the Big Apple.
New York City may have been slammed by the recent recession, but job opportunities in a wide variety of industries abound. Talk to an employment counselor to identify your career and financial objectives.
4. New York City boasts amenities to help people de-stress.
From four star gyms to superlative day spas to top notch executive career counseling, New York City has endless resources to help struggling workers relax, refocus, and re-engage. By taking advantage of these resources, employers and employees alike can reduce stress at the workplace and thus indirectly limit the number of sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation cases.
5. New York City has excellent legal help.
If you or a friend or coworker is struggling to deal with discrimination, harassment or retaliation at a New York City job, speak with the attorneys of Joseph & Kirschenbaum LLP. Phone us for a free consultation at (212) 688-5640, or explore our many online resources at www.jhllp.com.